Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Color of My Sound


What color, what sound? Is it all the same? Is it real? Who is doing it? Where you doing it? This is all justified by the definition of Hip Hop. In this song by P-MAC he raises the question of how one hears color. That is the question I want to ask all of you as well. We have been talking for weeks about different types of people doing hip hop and what their sound is or the message they provide or what they don’t provide. I love this song because I feel that he proclaims that he wasn’t bestowed this talent he learned it on his own.

“
Allow me to re introduce myself
My name is pmac, no space dash or period
Don't mistake it because I'm tired of it
I started off at the bottom of the pyramid
Then took my life by the stering wheel and started steering it
Up victory lane boy
Yeah I'm untouchable this ain't gameboy DS
Oh I sound black? But how do you hear a color?
Think before you speak you ignorant motherfucker
Ain't no one in the music biz tell me what to do
So I learned how to engineer rap and produce
By myself Living the fast life…”


2 comments:

  1. I think this is very interesting, because there are mistakes as to perceiving what race performs the song; yet it shouldn't matter the race if you connect with the song. Some people believe that the race determines if the rap is important or "good," yet in recent years, that misconception has improved in some regards. I really enjoy this song! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting commentary on our assumptions about race, language and hip hop

    ReplyDelete