Sunday, November 25, 2012

wang wang bubble gum thang


#OFWGKTA
…everyone’s favorite, right?                                    

#Odd
#Future
#Wolf
#Gang
#Kill
#Them
#All

or maybe you've heard the term: "Golfwang?"

http://www.oddfuture.com 

…BUT, they're bringing us some throwback #heat. From the O.F. Tape, Vol.1  we have one of my favorite tracks: “Bubble Gum.” The elements just appeal so much to me, from the artists being youthful and just going for what they want, the album cover, the lyrical content, the space-age beat, and the chorus from #YOUNGVEGGIES!

So this starts of with Hodgy’s laugh and him coming in all smooth, letting people know that his stage presence is second to none and he is about to get paid for it, so come correct.

His cars should also define that for you, the cars that he smokes weed in – weed with promethazine. He also has a chain on. Shiny material items are what spark the youth!

I mean, who doesn’t like cars and jewelry. We all need means of transportation and watches to tell time, correct?

Another line I really love is: “we don’t go to the club n*gga we post at the bar; have conversations with girls that don’t know who we are.”
-       I remember getting into parties before I was of age (usually 18+) and just stand there and try to talk to girls.


Then we have the chorus from Casey Veggies. He’s passionate about this one, as he is an addict to this “dope” that is actually his music that he has to “bag.” Since his crew is going hard, they’re going to “bag,” or take over the rap game. After he bags it, with they’re stayle, they’re going to stretch the rap game with their style. (“yeeeeeaaah, make it stretch like bubble gum”) And the ladies will love it!

-What do you think about the chorus?

After the first chorus, we have who my mother calls: “Tyler The Creature.” 
 Slick Rick vv

He starts off with putting light skinned women over all others, then creatively dismisses all of the men. Then he mentions a ruler and “Slick Rick,” maybe another meaning? I am not sure. 

Boom, then come women being referenced again, mentioning hoes and garden tools – something in there seemed a bit dark to me, but it is open to interpretation.
It then gets a bit more understandable with his skating references and his complex brain – “steering paper planes” which is pretty dope to me, especially since he doesn’t smoke – “paper planes” are usually referenced to as joints.

Oh, “the white girls love [him]!” then he pulls the dark, inappropriate card with the “without the lube” line. Maybe this is why my mom calls him the “creature.”

It’s funny how he’ll give disclaimers before rhymes, specifically the last few bars: “and my right is right, my right is left, my left is wrong – now b*tches throw your f**king bras off or ill rewrite my song”
-       It’s like he’s confused, so he just throws stuff out there? I’m not too sure.

Lastly, we have Hodgy coming back in. Or Alexander, because he is “the great.” I rock with it; Hodgy and his duo-group: Mellowhype, with his partner, Left Brain.

I heard money about three times within three bars, then a reference to saving it. I’m not mad at that. 

“I feel like I could fly without wings on my back.” Is that teenager invincibility syndrome? I still feel like I can fly sometimes.

He also reinforces the “dope” or “crack” within the song. “This is crack wit me but this crack aint wack” and how he is “making it stretch” and “flipping [the rap game].”

I also love how at the end, he gives a number to call is people are with their movement, it is almost like this is an infomercial. They leave the beat going so you can think, then play the chorus to finally sell it to you after you’d been contemplating.

If Odd Future has all of these elements of a “real” hip-hop song, why are most of their fans white? 


Also, for further visuals, check this out:
(TOP) Live video of “Bubble Gum” 
(BOTTOM) One of Odd Futures more controversial videos.


No comments:

Post a Comment