Monday, October 1, 2012

I had to share this image. In searching for something to post for this week, I stumbled across this gem. I think it speaks very loudly in the structure of layers and bright color. I thought it might symbolize direction and a sense of timidness, as if a mask was covering the face. This woman’s face looks very frightened and I thought maybe it was because the hands gripped around the face where forcing her to look a certain direction and then being startled about what she saw. This thought may be way out there but I think it correlates to the origins of Hip Hop. Young generations being told what to do, where to turn, and not really having a backbone to rely on so they hide behind all sorts of masks, like dance, graffiti, writing, and gang life. In tern the youth rebel and become angry. I have found that with all of these masks comes beauty and creativity. Through this energy many distinct lines become one and anarchy’s establish. Let me know your thoughts.


5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this picture you found and your interpretation! I never would have thought of it that way!
    The first thing I thought of when I saw this was not someone forcing the woman to look a specific direction, but more that the hands were "enlightening" her and she was astonished at what she saw. I see this image as hands showing her the realm of hip-hop and the color represents her slow comprehension and enlightenment of the hip-hop movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the positivity behind your interpretation a lot better. Thanks for sharing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting -- I wonder what you make of the background layer, that looks almost like hair. I wonder what is sampled there to make the dark background and what we could make of the contrast between the vibrant color and the grey/black/blue scale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regards to DJ Justice, i think the contrast is very notable also. It seems like her facial expression and the colorful pattern on her face represents her quest to stand out against a dark world people normally overlook. She uses her hands as glasses to seek the other people looking to stand out, but she is shocked because the rest of her world and demographic remains in the dark...

    Cool find, ICED-T!$!$

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, this image looks like an invitation to a party in South Beach, Miami. The colors are so busy, crowded, and bright that the face is a very stark contrast to the background. The expression is one of surprise and amazement but is still lighthearted and fun because of the day-glo color scheme. Seems like the kind of party Kanye would probably be performing at, maybe instead of glow in the dark tour it would be day-glo tour? The mask made out of the hands to me suggests a playful irony that seems fitting for internet art like this that I see on tumblr, etc. Good find, though, I like the message that you were able to construct from it. If the background is hair, then it could possibly be the hair of dancers twirling about on a dance floor.

    ReplyDelete