Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Style

Ran across a couple of things today that I felt was completely necessary to share with the class. When I stepped into my REST Senior Capstone today, we were talking about Macklemore for whatever reason. Our teacher didn't know who he was so we decided to play a couple of his videos for him. For those of you who don't know who Macklemore is, he is a brilliant white hip hop artist from Seattle. He raps about injustices, human rights, etc. One song in particular fits in with our discussion about commodification perfectly. It's called Wings.



I love everything about this song. His words are so powerful, the rhythm, the video, the message, just everything. It gives me chills every time I watch it. But basically the message is about commodities, consumerism, how we're all slaves to brands. So much so,  that it's possible for a person to kill another over a pair of shoes. 

The next thing I wanted to share with you all is this crazy awesome photo taken by a man named Brandon. He runs his own photo blog called Humans Of New York (HONY)  and on facebook. And he is absolutely brilliant and takes stunning photos of the people he sees in his surroundings. He posted a new photo today which directly coincides with our discussions about space, turf dancing, and the subway trains. This photo is a homology in itself because it contains all of these aspects, including youth!


HOW GREAT IS THIS PHOTO?! Here's the caption for it: "Honestly, I don't care what they're doing/selling, if a kid is trying to make some honest money, I am paying up. Entrepreneurship takes a lot of courage, and I think it's a civic duty to support a child with ambition. On the flip side of that, there comes a time when you are too large to attempt backflips on the subway. Not everyone realizes this. "

Anyway, I'm in love with his photos and you should be too. So follow now for endless amounts of awesome. 

Also, even though sexuality isn't really a topic we've covered and this video has nothing to do with anything, it's equally wonderful and by Macklemore. It's called Same Love. Enjoy. Weep. Be merry.

3 comments:

  1. I love this photo and the quote. For kids, I feel like they are themselves until something knocks them down and or limits the freedom of their creativity. I remember my days of making lemonade stands, and posting up on the corner of my street. It was an accomplishment to make money on my own. I would be so proud to run back in the house with a dollar or two to show off to my parents. The day did come when I grew out of my lemonade stands and had to start babysitting in order to make some extra money. It is interesting how age can play a role on what you can and cannot get away with doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome things to share. I'll love to talk through some of these videos in class -- maybe we can get to the commodification one today. If not, we will definitely return to the sexuality one when we think of the issues of queerness in hip hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this; I have heard a lot about Macklemore, however I had never heard any of his music until today! I completely agree with your love of the song "Wings." I really liked his incorporation of the children's voices because I feel it brings the song to another level and really speaks to how children aspire to be like the pros and, in doing so, want the commodities that the pros advertise and own. I like the connection you made with what we are learning in class; also, I do really enjoy that photo you found! I feel that some of what we have learned has been simplified into a picture. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete