Wednesday, October 24, 2012

it's a few thiiiings that i like...

"Beats, Hoes, and Rhymes." 

The Holy Trinity according to the L.A. trio of: Dom Kennedy, Casey Veggies, and Schoolboy Q. This is one of my favorites from three of my favorite up and coming artists.


Dom has been on my radar since around my Sophomore year of high school. From 25th Hour to The Yellow Album (which was just ok in my opinion.)


Veggies, just that young dude who is spitting how he lives. Not the best bars, but he keeps it real. He "spit it so specific." I feel him. If I was rappin, that'd be how I'd do it. He's started the everlasting trend of the #youngniggamovement. I feel as if I am part of that - in my own subgenre of course. Talk to me 'bout it.


Q, a member of TDE/Black Hippy with Kendrick Lamar, Ab-Soul, and Jay-Rock. The man who loves to talk about how the group is full of "druggies with hoes." He does his justice on the mic. He keeps it real. I can't be mad at him. Spit what you see and what you experience. Can you get mad at someone who does what they do and is honest about it? 


Not everybody's honesty will sit pretty - but it is still honesty.


NOW TO THE SONG!


Listen:  


#Hot

The intro attacks you like an intro to a song from Snoop Dogg's #CLASSIC "Doggystyle" album. Radio blasts from WBALLZ!


In this case it is W.E.S.T. They're cleaning it up a bit, but still keep the same cultural elements. Hennesy  is glorified - as alcohol in a lot of rap music; then there is the "Low Rider Supershow." L.A. baby!


Like I said earlier, all of these guys are from L.A....


Veggies opens up with the chorus, ending it in: "what i'm worriiieeedddd booout, shit is fine." Things are positive! Then to Dom's verse.



#LeimertParkLegend

He's got the game and not the flow - the important things in life. This makes him a "real nigga. And your ex know!" Women are objectified as power. When you steal a man's woman, it is a big deal. He does it again a few bars later saying: "Ya girl kinda ugly but she got a nice chest tho." 

Status object #2: He wants you to pay respect to him because of his cars - specifically his "Benz, trucks, coupes, Lexo's."And how he "loves shrimp in his pesto"


However he is admitting his disrespect - we all can be a bit rude sometimes...we're human! He's not frontin'. This dude also knows how to succeed by surrounding himself with good men ("I stay away from niggas that be dirty and broke").


#canyoubemadataplaya?


Next we have the man of the chorus: Casey V3ggies AKA "Yung Veggies." The mentee of the squad - coming in, spitting bars.


"Dark shades in the party, ain't worried bout nobody." I love it. For some reason sometimes, when I'm feeling myself, I think about that line. Cause sometimes, I really just ain't worried!

He also goes to objectify women, then states that he needs one. Listen to the verse. He just "needs some inspiration; maybe some ventilation." He is not confident or knows what he wants, exactly. Welcome to being 19-years-old. I rock with ya Veggies. 


He's also not denying his naiveté; good trait. Then he goes back to contradicting himself, in regards to women ("i could run through a few of her thongs") - my boy is thinking!


He also knows how to succeed in how he has good home morals and will give back to his parents at the end of it all. The fast lines at the end of his verse are inspirational: Since I can remember; I was on the grind so our home wouldn't be so cold in the winter. Till I get a whip with a chick with a grip and zip I can flip and a home I can lend her!" 



About it being cold in L.A., he's gotta stop. Chicago right here baby! But I see what he is saying. He's motivated to do it right.

#youngniggamovement

Q! Q! Q! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



First line: "shiiiit, shiiiit, all I can do is me."

We're in for it with this guy.

The elements of what a good rapper has: "weed & brews," is brought up right after that first line. Love you, Q.

Then you have: "Top Dog - scratch my balls and flee. #ALLMENAREDOGS.
- I see.

I mostly rock with Q, because he just says what he feels. His ecstasy reference is interesting to me: "eat pills, now fulfill your drills; be all that you can be." (If we're going to do those drugs that do these things to our body; might as well enjoy!) The glass is always half full; you got it, Q. 

Next; he's not rockin' with the police and he feels victim with his tattoos as he has to wear "turtlenecks and long-sleeves because [his] body's tagged." 


He also makes it sort of apparent that he is rapping for $$; his lease if f'ed up! I'm 100% sure he loves it too - no sarcasm. It is proven in the line that I love: "rhymes increase release to the streets; heat; how unique!" 


 -The art of rhyming - and beats & hoes of course is a beautiful thing. It touches the streets! #HoodCNN!  

 - He also is getting the money he wants, as a "gangsta that's sipipin pink, need to see a shrink - goes insane, [he's] crazy." He sees what these substances do! NO DRINKING!

(still on Q...) The rap game takes its toll on people, obviously. Liquor, alcohol, and GUNS. You'd think that if he's avoided talking about killing throughout the verse, but it comes up. He has to prove he is a #realnigga; specifically in the end - he says: "a nigga don't phase me. dos cuatro siete, I keep my nueve (9mm, his gun)." Oh well. I feel him, through. 

What's good with the song to you though, what do you think? 


Holla at me. 

2 comments:

  1. Alongside ScHoolboy Q, I've noticed talking about ecstasy has become a recent phenomenon in hip-hop. This makes sense considering the impact techno and dubstep have had on popular music within the past few years. But now I'm curious as to whether this theme is altering hip-hops subject matter. Is hip-hop becoming more about partying and less about struggling? Does that change the quality of the music itself?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-92qAjbGDo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely has changed. Struggle is still there, but like with most struggles within generations - the next generation has it better/easier.

    Maybe that's mostly a Western thing, though.

    Our culture is built on "advancing!"

    ReplyDelete