Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I Want Change


In talking up all this theory and considering what to write about for my paper, Banksy spoke to me a little. This image is loaded with meaning but one thing I recognized when I first looked at it was, that the rapper dude looks almost like a Buddah form. I got the impression that whatever problem this guy was facing, money was not going to solve it. 


“Every one is destined to be something”, some are more motivated than others and sometimes it takes a beat down to make a change to ones lifestyle. This song talks a lot about “material things” and having “everything in this life” but coming from nothing and learning to embrace what you have instead of taking advantage of it. In relation to the image posted above, I think this picture is aggressive in that it almost rejects help in the form of (coins) but that it sends a message that little efforts wont make the change happen. Though money is power, it takes many hands to make light work. A few coins here and there won’t do it but the motivation, the message, and the drive of several people might just make a change.

In This Life - Mike Stud


2 comments:

  1. To me, the above image of "Keep your change, I want coins" signifies an image of an individual who once in their life time may have possessed money and realized that there's more to life than what money can provide. The reason I say that is rarely do you ever see someone in such a position not looking for a few dollars to cure their addiction, and instead looking to improve themselves or the people around them. In this image, 'Change' can almost stem from governmental procedures within our country, all the way down to how society reacts to difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the image above has a very strong message, saying that money cannot help the change he is wishing to see. In the image, the cup for change is very small and is not apparent until after you take in the image as a whole for a while. Also, having the words "Keep Your Change" in small writing and instead having "I Want Change" in large writing makes the audience take a closer look at the image and even makes them think. When I saw this I thought about a homeless person who, instead of wanting money, just wants a change in society and a change in how he is perceived by the public.

    Also, I really enjoy the video. He talks a lot about money and even throws in allusions to money. He is talking about how he is now affected by the money and he is stuck in this place that is obsessed with labels and money, yet he can notice it because he rose up from nothing so he appreciates what he has received from his fame.

    ReplyDelete