Sunday, September 9, 2012

Introduction





Franklin Barbosa – A bridge between my middle name (I got made fun of so much in school) and my look alike (Leandro Barbosa – a Brazilian NBA player). He is a quick player and will bust any given move at anytime, which reminds me of my music taste as well as my self. I often find myself listening to rappers such as Big L; then hear A Tribe Called Quest; then Tyler, The Creator. All of which have their respective sub-genres. See below.


I was introduced to hip-hop at birth. My parents told me how they would play: “Love’s Gonna Getcha” by KRS – One (below) every night until I turned around four years old – the baseline put me to sleep everytime – the storyline is amazing as well. This is what I believe started my love for the genre. Growing up on the south side of Chicago (Hyde Park) with largely known artists (Kanye West, Common, Lupe Fiasco, MC Juice, etc.) it was kind of hard to avoid. They mastered the genre in my opinion with their sometimes jazzy or “chill” and sometimes “rough” rap flows spoke to me. I was never into the scene that most rappers usually talk about (violence, drugs, dropping out of school) – but I saw it. It was something that I could relate to. Being a product of said environment taught me well. Why shy away from things that make you comfortable? [“Comfortable” is a debatable word in this sense.]

I would like to explore the “not so urban” side of hip-hop; which to me for a while just meant white rappers. I just always felt that they were all wack – but never gave them a chance. Except for Eminem, of course. Now I am hearing about rappers such as: “Blue Scholars,” “Macklemore,” and even “Atmosphere”  who bring a different kind of flare that I am not so used to. The “chill factor” in their music was always apparent; however I didn’t care to listen. I was missing out. I want to dig deeper into the stories of these rappers and want to know what drove them to rapping and not playing Bluegrass or rock-and-roll (which to me for a while was pretty much what “white music” was).

There is a lot that I would like to get from this class. In a genre that has so many sub-genres, there is an unlimited amount to how one can interpret everything that goes on within. This class will not only help me with understanding the art of Hip-Hop music; but myself as well. 


                                                    
 ___

I love this video because Nas is just too smooth with it. Not too many cut scenes, not too much action. But sooooo many "bars." (good lyrics)


My favorite rapper right now is Blu.






pictures from: (http://valleyofthesuns.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Leandro-Barbosa.jpg & https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgFnMMOIY_xtDRkpxYXzPyea9puW1w-C1SG60GUame3q5GGE8bdfpZDUbm565RJf2x9sHrGmIYGslBSyl1Y2oNuZ4SW-J4K2TCmzhkLes53fICXLUihliizH3Csj83KelBcpf7owojFauY/s640/Franklin.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment