Monday, September 10, 2012

Introduction: MC Arcane

Introduction: MC Arcane

I chose the name "MC Arcane" for a number of reasons. I would like to begin though by saying that if I ever did enter the realm of hip-hop creation, I would probably be a writer, producer or a manager, as my voice doesn't have that star power one must possess. That being said, I chose an MC name because I think that as much as a great or even hit song needs to have a killer beat, Hip-Hop has evolved into being something more than just something that moves your feet. To me, Hip-Hop is about communication and expression, and lyrics, craftily put together and in sync with a killer beat is what I think of when I think hip hop, not just catchy hooks, and easy to sing along with words. Hip-Hop can set a mood or enrich a mood. When I'm just chillin', sometimes I just wanna hear what the second verse of this track demonstrates, lyrical word play. Other times, hearing a story can be soothing or entertaining.
When I'm down, sometimes I need to wallow for a few minutes, so I throw on something like "suicidal thoughts" by Biggie, "Keep movin' on" by Vinnie Paz, Immortal Technique, Snowgoons, or Jedi Mind Tricks.

It helps me relate to others and allows me to feel the beat and catch a stride that I can ride back into being all good again.

And on a sunny day I can put "sunshine" by Atmosphere on, or a lot of Northwest Hip-Hop, or some of the more mellow Nas, or Tupac (or any others really).
Hip-Hop relaxes me and makes me feel comfortable, weather I am listening to it, learning about it, or creating it.
Now the reason I chose Arcane as my MC name is because I feel that on my own time, and through the past 5 years especially, I have researched a lot and learned a lot about where hip-hop originated, how and why it has evolved the ways it has, and what it means. I also love old/retro/ancient/antique material things. And perhaps most pertinent to this specific topic, because the type of Hip-Hop I enjoy listening to, and if I was ever blessed enough to be considered a true MC, what would aspire to create would be timeless music. Something that is lasting, and can be related to 10, 20, 30, even 50-100 years later. 
A few other essential aspects of Hip-Hop in my view that I would like to just touch on would be originality, true skill/mastery of any of the pillars (not just having the voice, and the money and the agency to promote the 'ish out of you, and give you a "hit" song), networking, and diligence. 

MC Arcane Out.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you. You want it to be pure. Is pure possible to live off of in the game nowadays, you think?

    ReplyDelete