Sunday, September 30, 2012

Commodification

I was inspired by George's post on the commodification of hip hop, and it made me think of other ways hip hop has been turned into a commodity. I instantly thought of those certain shows on Nickelodeon or Disney which star a predominantly Black or Hispanic cast. Television is an oppressive institution in itself, because it's primary targeting audience is white people. All of the major shows on television and most popular movies today are comprised of a white cast with the token Black and/or Hispanic person. Let's say you're trying to describe How I Met Your Mother. Would you say "It's about a white group of friends and all of Ted's failed relationships how awesome Barney is?" or would you leave the part about their race out of the description? What if I asked you to describe the cartoon, The Proud Family? You may mention their race, because being Black on television isn't the norm. It is considered "the other."


Hebdige notes that the way to dismantle a subculture is to exploit, commodify it, turn it into something thats family-friendly and not to be feared. The Proud Family is a fine example of that, by taking what's supposed to be perceived as "Black culture" and remodeling it into something appealing for children. 

Here is the intro to The Proud Family. It's sung by Solange Knowles (Beyonce's sister).





Take note how in the beginning of the song, you can hear a record being scratched. Also, 12 seconds in, the entire frame is filled by a shot of fried chicken and waffles that the dad is about to eat. They’re enforcing stereotypes by having this in the intro. Not to mention how it’s being observed every single time someone watches an episode.


Here is a more relevant clip about hip hop from the episode Hip Hop Helicopter


It starts out with Big Boy and Shaun Robinson MCing this huge event. The first dancers up on stage are The Chang Triplets, an Asian dance group (I’d just like to point out that their skin color is literally yellow). The entire Black and Hispanic audience looks at these triplets in utter shock as they’re on stage. It’s as if they’re saying this is a Black and Hispanic space, not an Asian space. But eventually the crowd is welcoming after watching their routine. Next, LPDZ performs (LaCienega, Penny, Dijonay and Zoey). They are also not given such a great welcoming until they start dancing and the crowd goes wild. In a way, these dancers could be perceived as b-boys and b-girls. 

Lastly, there are 3 characters on the show named The Gross Sisters. They're supposed to be "thugs". Their skin color is blue because they are often referred to as "ashy," and they like to extort money from their peers and authority figures. The creators of the show took the concept of a gang, and watered it down to the definition of a bully, so it was appropriate for families to watch. What's interesting is how they don't fit into any racial category since blue is not a normal skin color. What is that saying? That they're inhuman, or if they were drawn with brown skin it would perpetuate too many racial stereotypes?



I hope this post made a decent connection about commodifying hip hop because as I wrote it, I couldn't decide if my points were strong enough or if I was just going into a rant about a racist cartoon.




6 comments:

  1. I used to watch The Proud Family all the time as a kid and it's so great that you're using this show as an example of commodification. Though fried chicken and waffles have become symbols of black culture, I disagree that including this in the theme song illustration perpetuates racism. It does enforce stereotypes, but as they say, stereotypes come from truth and I know more black people who would identify with the meal on the table than take offense to it. However, I really like your insight into the bluish color of the Gross sisters. When I watched this as a kid, I never picked up on the fact that they aren't a natural skin color, although the cornrows and baggy overalls do point towards an image of "thug." I think the fact that the show existed on such a white television channel shows the commodification of black culture and despite my usual sentiment towards black/hip hop culture commodities, I'm fairly pleased with the way this one turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the fried chicken and waffles comment. I definitely meant perpetuates stereotypes rather than racism, I was thinking about Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles after I posted it. Also I need to try that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post and the insight it gave me on a childhood show. It immediately caught my attention as I used to watch The Proud family on Saturday mornings when I was growing up. You did an amazing job of pointing out the stereotypes and analyzing the title sequence and theme song. I would just like to add as for the characters it is a generally black and hispanic cast, but the one white character Zoe stands out for more then just her racial background. She has a generalized nerdy look to her and is awkward in gestures and personality. She is the klutz of the group yet she has her moments (like in this dance clip) where she fits right in. Overall the analyzation and relation to Hebdige was great and brought my attention to a form of commodity I would not have noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Proud Family! I honestly used to watch the Proud Family everyday after school, and even on weekends with my parents. The Proud Family is another show from my childhood that will not be forgotten. I have fond memories that revolve around talking about the characters and the episodes all the time, both at school, and at home. Additionally, (for me at least) Proud Family is another example of a show that’s meaning and overall message has changed now that I am no longer a child, and now that I am a REST major. Basically I see it differently now, and would like to point out two ideas that I see in the show.

    First, I want to talk about the animated representation of a “black family” on the Disney channel. In The Proud Family, black culture and black people are represented for the most part, in a positive manner. The characters that comprise the Proud Family are positive; the mother Trudy is a veterinarian, the father Oscar is a struggling businessman but a businessman nonetheless, Penny is a good student and usually stands up for what is right, there are two infant Prouds, and then there is Suga Mama who doesn’t work but offers a lot in terms of love and moral guidance. Overall the Proud Family is a tight knit suburban black family that is not “moving on up to a deluxe apartment”, or “scratching and surviving…good times”. References to The Jeffersons, and the show Good Times.

    The Disney channel is a highly popular network amongst children, and most children tune in on a daily basis. Also, the show is not made specifically for black children, the show is made for children of all races and ethnicities. So the problem becomes that, non-black children watching the Proud Family on almost a daily basis, begin to believe that the portrayal of black people on the show is not only appropriate, but extremely accurate. The Proud Family does offer moments of stereotypical black family life, ie.. chicken and waffles. However, if the show actually portrayed black people in a more negative light, and with worse stereotypes, then the show would be problematic. Essentially, the Proud Family does not paint a full picture of black families, but at least the picture it paints is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Secondly, I wanted to talk about the Gross Sisters. Originally when I thought about the Gross Sisters, I would literally think “gross”, and I would be mad because they always stole stuff from the main characters on the show. However, now when I think about the Gross Sisters, I think about Toni Morrison and the book The Bluest Eye. I have not read the entire book, but I do know that one of the big themes revolved around the obsession the protagonist had with wanting to be white instead of black. Specifically, in the book the main character is a little black poor girl who believes that she is ugly because she and her community equate beauty with whiteness. In the media, and movies particularly a central theme has always been an association with skin tone and beauty. A person with a darker skin tone (like the Gross Sisters) will most likely be seen as ugly and marginalized solely because of their skin tone, whereas someone with a lighter or fairer skin tone (Penny Proud) will be seen as more beautiful and have more opportunity allotted to them. Basically, the divisions among black people based off of skin tone are present in the Proud Family, Penny has a caramal complexion, Dejonay her friend has a darker complexion, and the Gross Sisters would technically have the darkest complexion. There is a discrepancy between the characters Penny is the main character, Dejonay is a supporting friend, and of course the Gross Sisters have the smallest roll of all three.

    Just a couple thoughts..,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you mentioned Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye. It's a wonderful book, you should finish it if you get the chance. It's also interesting how Penny has a caramel complexion and is level headed and comes from a higher middle class black family, whereas Dejonay is very dark complexioned, stereotypically loud and comes from a HUGE family with like 8 brothers and sisters or something like that.

    ReplyDelete