Monday, September 10, 2012

Introductions-DJ Princess DizzyNoodles

DJ Princess DizzyNoodles/P~Dizzy - The element of hip-hop I would participate most heavily in is producing or DJing. While I admire lyrical flow, I find that I am more often than not more interested in tracks based on unique productionm particularly sampling. With sampling, you are able to take scraps of unrelated pieces, alter them, and create something entirely new from them. Even with mixes and playlists, by mixing in them in certain orders, they can tell you very different things.

Music has always been one of my main interests, but through out most of my life, I isolated the scope of that interest towards only rock n' roll and its subgenres. Growing up, my white father taught me to hate hip-hop, my mixed heritage, and anything else that wasn't associated with white, Protestant, middle-class American life. Under his supervision, the closest thing to hip-hop I got to listen to was Linkin Park. Once I began distancing myself from my father, I began breaking down the internal bigotry I had developed and began expanding my tastes as I matured.

From my early teens to today, I have had a longstanding fascination with japanese culture and history. At about 15, I began watching the anime "Samurai Champloo", which placed elements of modern hip-hop culture (beatboxing/graffiti/breakdancing) anachronistically in Edo era Japan.  Something about the show's idiosyncrasies finally got my brain hardwired into loving hip-hop.

 

For me, hip-hop is the music I use to relax. I generally prefer songs that sample old movie soundbites and jazz instrumentation. Whenever I am in a mood where I need to concentrate, I go to Wu-Tang or Queen Latifah. When I am lost in thought and need to relax, I generally will listen to Nujabes or Raekwon. Sometimes, I just want something that will make me smile so I put on Das Racist or MC Chris.



intro to me by dizzzymi on Grooveshark
More and more lately, I am looking for more rap about experiencing and fighting back against systems of oppressions like race, gender, sexuality, class, etc. hip-hop is such an excellent medium for speaking out against societal systems, yet there is a massive underrepresentation of people other than men in it, and those who are in it and are doing their own thing get constantly disrespected, regardless of how hard and talented they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment