Sunday, September 9, 2012

Intro



My name is Bobby Mark aka DJ Cucumber Slice and I was born and raised in San Diego. Hip hop is a little different for me in the sense that there’s no distinct moment when I “fell in love with hip hop”. I never listened to The Message and instantly fell in love or saw some bboys out in the park and wanted to be like them, but it gradually grew on me. Hearing bits and pieces of songs seemed to build up in my own personal library and I just gravitated towards it. The way beats and lyrics could be fused and mixed to create a dope track intrigued me and as soon as I knew it, I was on a mad hunt to get back all the time I missed listening to such an amazing new genre. I began exploring and started to find out that Hip Hop wasn’t just the music being played on the radio but that it was a whole world of music and that was just the tip ice berg. Transcendent albums like Nas’ Illmatic, Jay-Z’s Reasonable Doubt, and Outkast’s ATLiens shaped my initial love for Hip Hop but it didn’t stop there. It was like seeing a great show for the first time and wanting to watch every episode ever made. After watching the movie Brown Sugar I realized that Hip Hop wasn’t just a musical genre, it was a culture, almost a way of life. My love for Hip Hop grew even fonder after watching that movie and it continues to this day. 



I chose this song not because of the lyrical content or the beat but because I am amazed at the ability and versatility of Nas to be able to spit a story backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment