Sunday, December 9, 2012

Happy Hip-Hop Holidays!



Given our nearing holiday break, I thought it would be interesting to see Hip-Hop’s take on both Christmas and Hanukkah.  I found Run DMC’s “Christmas Time in Hollis Queens” (1987) for a Christmas Hip-Hop song.  For Hanukkah, it was a bit more difficult to find a song, however I found Matisyahu’s “Miracle”.

Run DMC: Christmas Time In Hollis Queens

Matisyahu: Miracle

Let me know if you find any other songs!  I would be interested to listen to them as well!

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!!

1 comment:

  1. This is quite a funny topic for hip-hop to cover. I feel as though if any rappers had the slightest inclination to make a holiday hip hop song that they would immediately reconsider at risk of losing their "realness." Since hip hop is a genre so focused on struggle, I feel that mentioning the holidays shows some lack of struggle which again may take from the MC;s realness in others eyes. However, these two artists and songs that you posted do provide a very interesting take on hip hop as both artists are very widely respected and acclaimed for their styles. I especially enjoyed the holiday tambourines the the Run DMC track, as that made it actually feel like a holiday song. I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but here's DMX sharing a little holiday cheer in what has now become a viral youtube video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXca4WcCzlo

    ReplyDelete