Thursday, December 6, 2012

Sit Down and Listen





This year, I stumbled upon Macklemore because of this class.  I began to listen to his new music and I heard his song Same Love.  I listened it to a lot and eventually started looking up more on Macklemore and his songs as well as videos.  What I found was this video of Macklemore talking to the public about his life and connection to same-sex marriage.  




I find it fascinating that Macklemore found it important to sit down with a camera and just speak.  This relates to my earlier post on Hip-Hop and homosexual marriage and how celebrities are speaking out to their fans and public.  These changing beliefs within Hip-Hop are morphing the culture for the better and allowing for new beliefs to enter.  



Below is Macklemore’s song, Same Love, for those of you who haven’t heard it yet.  It discusses love and how love is not confined to heterosexual couples.  Pay attention to the use of the woman and the man singing; I feel that adds to the message and emphasizes that love can occur with both gay and lesbian couples.




Let me know what else you find in the videos! 

4 comments:

  1. I really like how in the first one, he could be seen as dressing gay, but reinforces his point about being straight. I am also proud that he as a person, not only a rapper is taking the stand; now look at the legislation up in Washington!

    As far as the second, the beat, with such a monumental beat, I was drawn in from the start. His point about "manmade rewiring" was a big one to me, that and how he would think "hip-hop hates him." The video overall had its points as well. From him in high school being confused at the party to going to dinner to the marriage, it was nicely planned out. I love how in the chorus had the recurring theme of "love is paitient and love is blind." Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't catch that the first time I saw it, but yes, I completely agree about how he is dressed in his personal interview. I feel that he is trying to bend the norm in order for people to feel more comfortable with the idea of homosexuality, even though he is not.

    When I first saw this music video, I absolutely loved it because it was telling a story and it was showing what circumstances are difficult for homosexuals as they go through life. I think that is important because people who are not homosexual would not even think about the struggles with everyday circumstances. I feel that this video as a whole is an insight for the viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Macklemore, being from Tacoma Washington I have been a fan of him before he hit main stream. I really like the interview because not a lot of hip hop artists as we know speak up for homosexuality. I hope this is just the first step in a movement of hip hop and even the country. Hip hop has a huge influence on people I have learned, especially in politics as it was used a lot in the 2008 election and even during this past one. Hopefully by Macklemore making a step in that direction others will follow. It's about time for change, 9 states have already gotten the message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming from someone who is not necessarily a fan of Macklemore's, I had sort of put off watching this video because I had intentions that I wouldn't like it and that he would belittle the issue or something. However, I was so pleasantly surprised by this video. I thought it was so tastefully done as a piece of cinema as well as a song. I think it was great how Macklemore addressed the stereotypes prevalent in overall society as well as the stereotypes and oppression towards the LGBT community that exist within the space of hip-hop. I like that he is not only pushing a campaign towards same sex marriage, but also a campaign towards eliminating oppression to the LGBT community as a whole as Macklmore is working in one of the most homophobic spaces (hip hop).

    Macklemore is taking large steps towards progression for our country and I have to respect him for that. I hope more artists step out on the issue and do similar things that Macklmore has done so there can be a hip hop wide movement!

    ReplyDelete